Life through my eyes...

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Work...

For almost 7 months, this was my work space...


...and this is me with the Executive Insight Student that came to visit our office:


Talks of shifting to the other side of the building had been going on for months (well before I joined the team), but to no avail. However, after an extremely stormy weekend which led to my boss's documents being drenched from the water that had seeped through the leaky windows, the shift finally happened!

It took several discussions but we finally shifted to the other side of the building where we would be greeted with piercing natural sunlight, beautiful views overlooking the Avon River and substantial personal space! So since September until now, this is my office space: (Now you can imagine where I e-mail you from or sometimes, blog from!)


However, in a few months time, we will be relocating again to what is currently known as "Club Tower" which is located just across the road from where we are currently situated. It's quite an exciting time with talks of shifting and actually watching the building as it is slowly being completed. At the same time, some of us (especially on my floor) are rather reserved. This is because most of us have individual offices at the moment but when we move, we will be shifting into an open-plan layout. Yikes!

When the move comes about, I would have shifted desks 3 times in less than 1 1/2 years of working with this firm. And of course, you can count on seeing a photo of my new desk when it happens! :)

I can't remember whether i've really blogged about my job. I won't go into too much detail but, i'm an auditor. *Cue: HoRRoR MuSiC*! Kidding! We're no where near as scary as what society portrays us to be! We are a team of 4 in Christchurch and all of us absolutely love coffee so it's no wonder that most of the time, we have our team meetings in a coffee shop! :P

The job definitely has its ups and downs. The beginning was very frustrating - learning the ropes, etc... Some client jobs are more complicated than others, which makes you so very appreciative of the less complicated ones. Then towards the Christmas break, it was party time!

We had our Christmas-Do which was held at Monavale on 28th November. The theme? "Flower Power", i.e. '70s!

@ Jin's House (before)



@ Monavale

The table decor...


The Atmostphere


Meet the people...

Team Audit:



Grads '08:



5th Floorians...


Then there's this guy who is definitely worth a mention! He's a pure kiwi, normally fair-skinned but on this occasion, he decided to coat his face with a layer of black shoe polish so that he could achieve this look.

Meet Steve:


And of course...

Jin & I:


@ Jin's House (after)


For the sake of completeness, I had better tell you the story behind the orchid. It has been tradition for the past couple of years to give out "Phoscars" at the Christmas-Do to the staff members who have made complete fools of themselves in the past year. To put it simply, it is also termed as "dick-of-the-year".

Because the theme was "Flower Power", winners were awarded artificial flowers and it was mandatory to pin these to themselves so that they could be recognised and made fun of for the entire evening.

Yes, one of the winners was me. *bLuSh*! Hence...


Why? Because our IT team tracks each employee's web usage then releases a half yearly report broken down into browsing time, data downloaded and e-mails sent. When the report is released, it is attached to an e-mail where the head of the IT division takes the piss out of the top 5 placements of each category. Interestingly enough, I was ranked second place for browsing time. Hehe! In my defence, I have to say that it's because I left my browser on as I worked! :P

Closer to Christmas (16th December), we had a Financial Planning/Audit/Tax & I.T. (a.k.a. FAT) Christmas Outing at the Fendalton Bowling Club, followed by a BBQ at Frank's house where we were joined by partners and kids. Not a lot of photos were taken. Surprisingly, I didn't do too badly! My team ended up winning amongst the 4. Yay! First, laser strike... Now, bowls! Woo hoo! :) (Not that we're competitive or anything... Haha!)


In the final week before the Christmas/New Year break (19th December) which was also my last day for the year, we had Secret Santa which was held on the 5th floor because us ladies had set up a beautiful Christmas tree in the reception area. What more, santa was played by none other than my boss! It was hilarious!




And that brings me to the end. Watch out for the next post! :)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home