Life through my eyes...

Friday, January 06, 2006

Damn Aucklanders.

It was the first day of summer school at the University of Auckland (AU) today. Well, for me anyway. Everyone else started yesterday. Why am I so special you wonder? Cuz I thought summer school started on Friday (6 January) which was what they had published on the website a couple of months back! Damn Aucklanders.

How did I realise my mistake? It was by chance really. We went into AU on Thursday to enquire about enrolling into another summer school course (which I was refused entry into - insufficient prerequisites - damn Aucklanders), and noticed that everyone seemed to be holding a course book. Yes, oh no. After picking up the summer school prospectus, it said "Classes will be held from Thursday 5 January to Thursday 9 February 2006". Argh! So much for 100% attendance.

The commerce student centre has a ticketing machine similar to those that you'll find in Malaysian banks where when you hear the *DiNg* or *DoNg*, it's the next number which is displayed on an electronic screen. Yea, one of those. They think that they're so damn high-tech. Damn Aucklanders.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i'm taking a MATHS 102 course which is "recommended for students who have achieved fewer than 12 credits in Calculus or Statistics at NCEA level 3, or who have achieved at least 18 credits in Mathematics at NCEA level 2 (or equivalent)". Seriously, what is all this rubbish? Firstly, I never did NCEA, I did Bursary which is a much better system where we were graded by alphabets rather than numbers. After three years of studies at University, they expect me to remember what I got for NCEA (Bursary) AND have the documents to prove my results. Idiotic system.

So while the nice lady in the commerce department was trying to inform me that MATHS 102 is a very easy course covering only the basics and is a non-advancing course, what choice did I have when I didn't have the documents to prove my results for Statistics and Calculus at Bursary level. Damn Aucklanders! They make something so simiple, so complicated. It really puts people off.

I attended MATHS 102 today. I had no idea what the lecturer was talking about because he was describing mathematical functions in extremely simple english words which, were rather confusing and mind-boggling. But I just have to attend a 2 hour lecture, 4 days a week, do numerous assignments and quizzes, sit a test and an exam, , and I get my 15 points to transfer back to Canty. Silly really.

Complications haven't ended there. My student loan hasn't gone through. Probably need to apply for my 2006 studies at Canty first before they'll approve it. Yes people, you heard me. You'll be seeing me at Canty for my final year. Aren't you looking forward to it? Hehe. More lunches @ UCSA!

Meanwhile, i'm really looking forward to the rest of the 5 weeks left in my course. Oh yes. I will survive. *fAiNt*!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home