Life through my eyes...

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Unwritten events of October

It's Friday night and everyone's either busy studying or working, or too lazy to go out. So, I guess it's just me and my computer tonight~ Thought i'd better write a catch-up post to recollect some of the special events that happened in the second half of last month, which sort of continues on from the 16th (which was the extremely long post regarding the first part of this month). Also, I feel kind of bad leaving someone's special birthday unmentioned. "Sowie Wonald~" Haha!

Continuing from then... and yes, major warning: another long post coming up!

Just uploaded the video that was compiled by Maurice from Chong's 12-12 BBQ held on 6th October. It captures a few extremely embarrassing moments of me but at least everyone gets a good laugh out of it eh? :þ~ I'm not always that crazy... Really... Hehe!



A week after the 12-12 BBQ, Chong held what was initially called a "pizza and beer party" which ended up including a lot of whiskey and coke, but turned out to be very entertaining. I found out that night how easily confused Hock and Yang can be when playing drinking games. Hilarious I tell ya~ One of the games went like this... 4 phrases:

One frog...
fell in...
the pond...
plop!

Not hard at all right? Then as it goes round the circle, the number of frogs increase, which also means that the phrase will be repeated according to the number of frogs there are. Make sense? e.g.

Two frogs...
two frogs...
fell in...
fell in...
the pond...
the pond...
plop...
plop!

Simple enough? But OMG did they have a tough time! We must have played it dozens of times and they still couldn't get it right! I think we eventually only got to four frogs (played extremely slowly)... which is what you see in the video below:



The following day was Ronald's 23rd birthday where Roderick (his younger brother) made sarawak laksa and invited us over to surprise him. I wasn't there when the surprise happened but I was told that he was still in his pajamas. Damn~ Must have been a picture moment that I sadly missed. Hehe! Anyway, after eating laksa, a few of us attended hari raya open houses - one held at the junior's flat and another small one at Azmir's flat. Never knew Azmir was such a good cook... or is it all instant? Haha! J/K! Didn't take a lot of photos but here are just a few:


Later that night, we returned to Ronald's house to continue his birthday celebration! This year was slightly different. We had an overseas spectator. It was like being on big brother with Hui Min watching in on our every move! Haha! No big celebration for Ronald cuz he expressly stated that he wasn't up for anything big but I think, sometimes small is better. It's the company that counts anyway~




A few days later, I was treated to a taste of Yang's cooking. On the menu: Chicken Rice and Tom Yum Soup with Champagne to celebrate Ronald and Yang's last University lecture forever! Overlooking the minor mishap of burnt garlic, the meal was delicious, topped up with dessert: chocolate ice cream with longans! Not a bad combo, I might add! :þ~


Went to play in our third week of the 'Business House' badminton summer league that night still slightly drunk. With the unavailability of Mark, we had Nik as a substitution as we faced 'The Ashes'. Having a Canterbury badminton player on our team gave us a 5 - 1 win, losing our women doubles yet again. Although we won, it wasn't the same as having our captain around. Needless to say, there was no team bonding session after. Yes Mark, I blame you! Just kidding~ Hehe!

That Friday (the 19th) proved to be one of the worst days of my life. I suffered a really bad hangover that lasted the whole day, even through the mini BBQ that Ronald and Yang had during their study session that I dropped in on. It was horrible. Since then, i've only had a drink of alcohol which was during one of Roger's farewell nights.

What happened? After our volleyball summer league competition the previous night (in which we lost against the "Wisconsins") a few of us headed down to Boys & Girls. The only thing was that Freddie wanted to try out a "kiam siap" way of having fun (so that he could bet on the England vs South Africa Rugby World Cup final - what a gambler!!) and brought out a surprise in the car - almost a full bottle of Black Label and 4 cups! We had to buy Coke from the nearest BP station. The initial plan was to take a shot at every red light we met along the way. The only problem was that we kept meeting green lights the whole way. So eventually, we parked right in front of Boys & Girls and drank for the next 20 minutes, relatively large amounts of whiskey to minimal amounts of coke inorder to not waste the very little coke that we had. I was all good until Seng joined us and asked me to "teman" him to drink. After that, I continued drinking with a couple more bottles of Smirnoff Black and Archers and then... K.O.! :P First time ever that I had to induce myself to vomit! Eesh~! Hence, my terrible hangover~

That weekend happened to be the long Labour weekend. I attended Hui's birthday bbq on the Saturday afternoon which was held at her fiance's house. I actually got lost when I walked through the front door cuz the house is really big~ Probably the third largest house among my friends in Christchurch. Haha! It was a lovely bbq and turned out to be a rather fattening one after Cin literally buttered everything up. I didn't take any photos that day cuz I was too lazy. Hehe! The following day, had lunch at Faiz's flat which was yet another Raya open house. Especially enjoyed the Satay and the Cheesecake which was baked by Neng. YuMMyyYYYyyY!! :)

Monday was a very long and tiring day for me. Woke up early to have McDonald's breakfast with Mark before attending the CMSA AGM to support Azmir and Freddie who were standing for President and Vice-President, respectively. Good thing that we were allowed to vote. I know quite a few of us would have been pissed off if they were going to deny us our votes after having slept so late the previous night and waking up so freaking early that morning. The results from the AGM brings you these people who will be representing the club for 2008~ Yay~!!

President: Azmir
Vice President: Freddie
Secretary: Ka Mun
Treasurer: Fiqa
Vice Secretary: Shuang Xiu
Sports Officer: Kelvin
Cultural Officer: Tomen
Islamic Officer: Zafran
Public Relations Officer: Yun Han
Events Coordinators: Gloria & Bernard


(From left to right) Andrew, Melvin, Gloria, Shuang-Xiu, Fiqa, Ka Mun, Yun Han, Azmir, Kelvin, Bernard, Tomen, Freddie & Zafran

From my perspective, next year looks very promising and I believe that the vibrant personalities in the newly formed committee have the ability to revive CMSA again to bring back it's glory and push it to new heights. So congratulations to them all and hope to hear great reviews from CMSA events next year~

After the AGM, everyone was so hungry so we went to Riccarton Mall for lunch. Walked around a bit, had coffee and then headed for gym. It was hard returning to gym after a 2 week break but I knew I had to go otherwise i'd forget how hard it is to burn off all the fat that i've been putting on over the winter. After gym, went home for a short while and then headed off to St Thomas for badminton training. After that, went to eat supper - had vanilla ice cream with lychees. Yum! What a long day it was. Unsurprisingly, I fell sick the next day. I guess I was pushing myself too hard. Hehe!

Wednesday as usual was our badminton competition. We faced a team called "Lollipops". There was a bit of drama that night but we won 4-2, losing our women doubles and Mark/Cin's mixed doubles. The drama? After Mark/Cin played their mixed doubles, Mark was trying to get feedback from Nik about the game because the next game would be my mixed doubles with Mark. After their talk, Mark announced that he wanted to give up. When I heard that, I asked him whether it was true because if it was, i'll just go out there and stand on court with my racquet down. He thought I was kidding and answered yes.

On court, we played and we were losing 14 - 8 (set point for the opponents) when I turned to Mark and asked him whether he still wants to give up. He turned to me and gave me his frowny-misunderstood-and-totally-confused-look and shouted "NO!". We ended up making a come back 15 - 14 (Yeah, we only play up to 15 points and no deuce. Stupid right?! *fAiNt*!). The next set, we won 15 - 6. Haha! Not bad eh? After that, Mark gave me the i'm-s0-proud-of-you-look the rest of the night. Haha! Now that's what I call, p-r-i-c-e-l-e-s-s!

Volleyball that week was a whole different story. We faced the same team that we played on grading night - "MOA Exterminators". Having played them before gave us an idea of their strengths and weaknesses, allowing us to form a strategy against them. That day, we went for the win but came out of it with a draw because we were unclear about the points system. Although we drew, I still felt that we lost. We lost because our team wasn't happy, we weren't united at all. That itself, made me think that we failed as a team. As management, we failed the team. After quite a few discussions with Mark, I can see where he was coming from. I guess it's just not a perfect world.

Out of boredom, Tung and I decided to drive up to Sumner Beach to watch Hock play in the weekly beach volleyball competition. It looked really fun although I personally wouldn't like to dive into the sand. Good thing it was a warm day too~

The beach volleyballers:




The bored spectators:




The "beautiful girls" didn't do too well on Halloween. We ended up winning with a 20 point difference after losing Women doubles, Mark/Cin's mixed and my mixed doubles with Mark. Reason? I guess everyone was just tired. Personally, I gave it all I had for women doubles which ended up being too much that I didn't have any more energy for mixed. Although we lost, it was the best results we've had so far losing 14-15 and 11-15. We're meeting the top team in our grade in 2 weeks time so the timing of the "loss" was a good wake up call. Having a bye next week means that we have time to train and hopefully we can beat them! Haha!

So what did everyone get up to on Halloween? I think our adventures that night deserves a post on it's own. With that, I shall leave it 'til next time. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home