Life through my eyes...

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

O.M.G.

Decided to go check out prices for the replacement of my glasses today. Prepared myself for it to set me back around $300 which by NZ standards, would be considered "reasonable", no? So, took a drive to the well-known "OPSM". O-P-S-M... *DiNg* Keke...

Walked into the shop. Saw 3 or 4 staff members with no customers. Not a very good sign. Casually had a look at random frames on display - DKNY, Calvin Klein, etc. All branded. Fine... Had a peak at the prices... $354.00. OMG! The cheapest frame I could find... $254.00 and I don't know what brand they were. OMG! Let's not talk about converting it to RM yet. *fAiNt*!

So I thought... obviously getting a new frame would be out of the question cuz I just need a temporary pair to last me until I go back to Malaysia next year. No problem... i'll just ask them how much it'd cost to replace just the lense...

(Seeing as I was asian, an asian guy came to serve me. @#%&)#$! Bloody racist! I can speak perfectly good english thank you very much! GRR!! OK. Off topic.)

Anyway, so the conversation went like this:

"I've broken one of my lenses and have glued it together for temporary measure. Just wondering how much it'd cost to replace just the lense?"

He KINDLY said it slowly too. "3... 3... 8... 0... (At this moment I was thinking... $33.80... not bad huh?) 0..." WTF?!

I even repeated (as controlled as I could) to clarify... "$338.00 to replace the lense?"

The guy answered, "yeah..." and started ranting about how their lense is made out of some special material (at which point I really couldn't care less).

He continued, "... but since you'll be using your own frame it'll incur a fitting fee of let me see..." (I was thinking, OMG. Gonna be a damn ridiculous price again) "$48.00".

"Uh huh... and what about if I want to test my eyes?"

"Extra $60.00."

*fAiNt* I quickly did a mental calculation - nearly $450.00 to replace the lense! OMG!

"Is there no package deal?"

"No sorry."

"How about student discounts?"

"No sorry. It's just the one price."

"So if i decided to make a completely new pair of glasses, you'll just add the cost of the frame on top of it?"

"Yeah... except you won't be charged for the fitting fee."

Well no shit. OMG! GO DIE OPSM! SERIOUSLY! No wonder you guys have so many bloody stores around NZ. OMG!! What a rip off! So technically if I wanted to get a whole new pair, it'd cost me between $800.00 to $900.00! Try converting it to RM.

Wait... let me do it for you! Based on an exchange rate of 2.3... on the price of $800.00... That'll be... RM1840.00! OMG. Compared to what? Around RM150 - RM200 in Malaysia? Of course not branded la... What the hell man... With that money, I could have purchased the air ticket won at Malam for that price! Or else, I could have almost bought myself a one way ticket back home. Celaka!!

Seriously... Go die OPSM! Why didn't I think of becoming an optometrist... Celaka... @#%)@$#!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home